Friday 7 August 2015

:: Nutshell Kitchen - Gogalbi 고갈비 / Korean Grilled Fish ::

 I love cooking and baking. Since the day I got married, I have the opportunity to cook or bake more, trying new recipes and taking up challenges, as breakfast for my hubby (oh yes, he is my guinea pig) and as dinner for my in-laws. Sometimes I cook for my parents too.

I got to try this recipe, thanks to my dad. He bought one medium sized fresh fish from the market. They call that fish "Beh Ka" in Hokkien (the common dialect in my current place of stay). I googled and got to know that is called Indo-Pacific King Mackerel/ Spotted Spanish Mackerel. Wah, all the years I have been eating this fish and not knowing it's a King Mackerel. Sorry fish, I apologized. LOL. So, back to the story, my dad wanted to some BBQ dish using that fish and asked me to marinate it and he wants it SPICY. Hahahaha...  I looked through the recipes or ideas through internet, and being a Korean food fan, so I browsed through some korean recipes pages and found one. I adapted this recipe from Beyond Kimchee, but I change the cooking method.

Ingredients You Need:-

  • 2 medium sized fesh mackerel fillets, halved
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil/ vegetable oil

For the sauce:

  • 2 Tbsp Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
  • 2 Tbsp Korean chili flakes (gochugaru)
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp rice wine
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp honey (Original recipe: 1 Tbsp green plum extract (mashiljeup))
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1/4 yellow sweet onion, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds
  • a few dashes of black pepper


The Ingredients
Marinate the fresh fish with 2-pinches of salt. Rub the salt on the fish and set aside. 
Mixed all the sauce ingredients well. Marinate the fish using 1/3 part of sauce mixture. Keep the rest of the sauce mixture for later. 

Sauce Mixture

Marinate using 1/3 part of the sauce mixture
Let the fish to sit for 30 minutes or more at room temperature before grilling. 
Heat up grill pan at high heat, and add in oil. When the grill pan is hot, reduce to medium heat (so that you won't burn the fish fillets). Grill the fish, the skin side first, for about 4 - 5 minutes, then flip it over to another side for about 4-5 minutes as well. 

Fish Fillet on Grill 

Perfectly Grilled

Ready to be served
Once ready, remove from grilled pan. Spread the rest of the sauce mixture evenly on the fish fillet. 
Serve warm with rice. Yumms..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment